- Residential building permit application — DOWNLOAD PDF HERE
- $0.30 per square foot of living space for building permit
- Attach blueprints, drawings, or building plans to permit application and submit to city building for approval.
- If disturbing land, a stormwater permit is needed to control any construction water runoff
Please see the following ordinances on this page for more detailed information:
- Building Permit Ordinance 2003
- Minimum Lot Size
- Original Planning & Zoning Ordinance
- Zoning Variance Request Procedures
- Fence Permit Application — DOWNLOAD PDF HERE
- $50 building permit
- Bring permit application and permit fee to the city building for review and approval from the city.
- Front and Side Yard. No fence or wall shall be constructed or maintained in a front or side yard for the purpose of containment and at least seventy-five percent (75%) of the surface area of the fence must remain open and unobstructed. The maximum height shall be four (4) feet. No fence shall be maintained or constructed of metal such as chain link, wire mesh, or chicken wire: provided, however, a fence (or combination with a wall) may be built of wrought iron or similar material. No fence shall be built or maintained within two feet of a street, on or over a public utility line.
- No fence or wall (including a retaining wall) shall have a height greater than six (6) feet, nor shall said fence materially obstruct the view from an adjoining landowner’s property. No fence shall be maintained or constructed of metal such as wire mesh. or chicken wire.
- Permit. Prior to erection, a building permit issued by the building inspector who must approve fence location, type, design, and construction materials must be obtained. Appeals of the building inspector’s decisions may be made to the Board of Zoning Adjustment.
- Maintenance. Fences must be kept painted and repaired as construction type dictates and free of unsightly vegetation. Fence lines must be kept neat and trimmed. Fences which become unsightly or fall into disrepair must be removed or repaired.
- Swimming pool layout and design plans must be submitted at city building with building permit application for approval.
- $100 building permit
- DOWNLOAD ORDINANCE PDF HERE
- Trees with a circumference of 2 feet or more or 30 feet in height require a tree removal permit from the City building.
- Mark tree requested for removal
- Please see the trees, shrubs, Landscaping ordinance below:
ORDINANCE NO. 3-2014
AN ORDINANCE REVISING ORDINANCE 3-87 OF THE CITY OF BELLEFONTE, KENTUCKY CONCERNING TREES, SHRUBS, LANDSCAPING AND WEEDS
BE IT ORDAINED BY THE BOARD OF COMMISSIONERS OF THE CITY OF
- In order that visibility may be maintained for oncoming and converging traffic at intersections, no trees or shrubbery having a height in excess of two (2) feet shall be planted or maintained within ten feet of the intersection of the paved portion of streets.
- No trees having a circumference at the base of 2 feet or more or a height in excess of 30 feet shall be cut or removed from any lot without the approval of the building inspector on a written request by the property owner. Consideration for removal of any trees will be based upon (i) whether or not the tree(s) in question is diseased, damaged or its proximity to any building or improvements represents a threat to them, (ii) the number and size of trees remaining within the immediate area of the tree(s) in question, (iii) the lot owner’s representation as to replacement with other tree(s) of the tree(s) to be removed, or (iv) the variety of the tree which is to be removed.
- It shall be unlawful for any person to suffer or permit weeds, brush, rubbish, trash or other waste material to grow, mature or accumulate upon their lots or parcels of land within the City, and all owners of property within the City shall cause said property to be mowed or to be cut at least once each month from June 1st April 15 to September 30th November 15 in each year and to be maintained in a neat and orderly fashion. All underbrush shall be cut, cleared away and removed from said properties, except regularly planted and nurtured shrubbery and standing trees and all accumulations of rubbish shall be kept cleaned up and removed therefrom with respect to weeds and brush only. The aforesaid shall not apply to natural woodland except brush or weeds shall not be permitted within 10 feet of any street. Accumulations of leaves or grass clippings shall not be permitted in front or side yards.
- Should it be discovered that, by reason of accumulation of rubbish or the excessive growth on land within the City of weeds, grass or like vegetation, that a public nuisance, health hazard or source of filth has developed on said land, the Mayor or other responsible officer of the City shall give five (5) days written notice to said owner, occupant or person having control over said lots or parcels of land to remedy said situation. Upon the failure of the owner, occupant or person having control over said lots or parcels of land to comply, the Mayor or other responsible officer is authorized to send employees or contractors of the City upon the said property to remedy the situation. The City shall have a lien against the said property for the reasonable value of labor and materials used in remedying said situation. The affidavit of the City or other responsible officer shall constitute prima facie evidence of the amount of the lien and the regularity of the proceedings pursuant to this ordinance and shall be recorded in the office of the County Court Clerk of Greenup County. The said lien shall be notice to all persons from the time of its recording, shall bear interest at the lower of eighteen percent ( 18% ) per annum, or the highest rate permitted by applicable law from the time of recording until paid and may be foreclosed by appropriate action in the Circuit Court of Greenup County. If the City intends to claim a lien against the property, said notice of lien shall be mailed to the last known address of the owner of said property as said address appears on the current tax assessment rolls of the City.
- In addition to the foregoing, any person violating any of the provisions of this ordinance shall be deemed guilty of a misdemeanor and, upon conviction thereof in a court of competent jurisdiction, shall be fined not less than Ten Dollars ($10.00) nor more than One Hundred Fifty Dollars ($150.00) for each violation committed, each day’s continuance of a violation constituting a separate offense, or imprisoned for not more than thirty (30) days, or both so fined and imprisoned, within the discretion of the judge or jury. In addition to the foregoing, the City, any property owner, or any resident citizen aggrieved may proceed in the Circuit Court in and for Greenup County, Commonwealth of Kentucky, by way of injunction, to enforce the discontinuance of such violation or any situation or condition which may have been brought about or exist by reason of such violation of this ordinance and may, in addition to such injunctive relief, be awarded both compensatory and punitive damages for such violation.
- All ordinances, parts of ordinances and amendments thereto in conflict herewith heretofore adopted by the Board of Commissioners of the City are hereby expressly repealed.
- This ordinance shall be in full force and effect from and after its passage, approval and publication, as required by law.
- Each section and each sentence of this ordinance is enacted separately and the invalidity or unconstitutionality of any one particular sentence and/or section shall not affect the validity and/or constitutionality of any other sentence and/or section.
Thomas R. Bradley
Mayor, City of Bellefonte, Kentucky
Ronald L Fraley
FIRST READING: June 23, 2014
SECOND READING: July 28, 2014
PUBLISHED: August 7, 2014